Tuesday, July 28, 2009

My Tattoo

This is probably the closest idea to the tattoo I would like. I think I am finally comming to terms with the full idea of what tattoo I would like, and what I would like it to contain. The longer I sit around and think of the tattoo I want, the bigger my tattoo is becoming.



I just love the idea of cherry blossoms, and an owl. Cherry blossoms are a very common tattoo I know, but I love the beauty of them. And I love the symbolisim:



For the Japanese the cherry blossom holds very different meaning. The cherry blossom is a very delicate flower that blooms for a very short time. For the Japanese this represents the transience of life. This concept ties in very deeply with the fundamental teachings of Buddhism that state all life is suffering and transitory. The Japanese have long held strong to the Buddhist belief of the transitory nature of life and it is very noble to not get too attached to a particular outcome or not become emotional because it will all pass in time.


"All things must pass" is something I hold dear to my heart. The fact that no matter how tough life gets, you have to have faith that "All things must pass". This is something I have learned, and something I know from experience.


I love the idea of the owl. Owl's have a very special meaning for me.


My first date with Josh was in a state park. We sat by campfire light and talked for close to 3 hours. It was raining hard, but we didn't notice. The fire kept us warm, and the conversation kept us alive.


Late into the night we went our seperate ways. It had been an instant connection. He had all the right answers, and I said all the right things. I knew from the first date that there was something.


Driving through the dark pathways of the park my car came to a quick jolt as I slammed on my breaks. My headlights were the only thing that lit they way. As they turned around the corner the lights reflected off of huge glistening eyes. An owl was pearched in the middle of the road watching me. I can still see it today as if it is still right in front of me. He stared at me completly confidently. He knew me. We peared into eachothers eyes for several seconds, but it felt like an eternity. It read me completly. I could feel all the wisdom reach into me, and tell me it was going to be okay. He signified a change. He knew I had just embarked on a new adventure in my life. With a smile, he flew off into the night sky.

I knew at that momment that life had in fact changed forever.

The owl does not exactly signify Josh and I. It signifys a new change in my life. Before that night I had been depressed. I moved one day at a time. Sadly, through life. After my brother was in the hospital, I grew into a deep depression. I think the owl made me realize that things were changing for the better. And it was just a new starting point in my life.





No comments:

Post a Comment