Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas


This christmas I had to celebrate it four times. It gets super exhausting after a while. I used to dream that christmas would last several days, but now it's my dream that it will only last for one again. Isn't it funny how things change?
Day One (christmas eve): My Dads House
My dads house was pretty fun. We ate the traditional "Green Fetichini and Marinara Sauce" that we have every christmas eve. Talked, Laughed, and enjoyed being around eachother. It was funny. My dad and I both got eachother the same thing: a letter saying that we were making eachother something and it wasn't done yet! HA! He is making me a clock! I'm painting him a picture. Cute! We are so funny! We had a pretty good laugh.

My brother got me deodorizers. What a little brother.... HA!


Later that evening we went to Josh's parents to celebrate christmas with the immediate family. It was fun, because this year they included me in it! I was pretty happy. Josh and I have been together for 4 years, and this is our 5th christmas together, so I think it's kinda natural that I am there. We each got a cute little stocking with candies, and a bunch of random things (HoHo's, Sanitizing wipes, USB drives, Fans,), along with awesome Hats (Pictured to the right). Jenny, Josh, and I all got matching hats! We love them!

They also got us "family tickets" for all five of us to go see "Arlo Guthrie and Family" in May. I'm not the biggest of fans. But it's good ol' fashion folk music, and it will be a good ol' fashion time with the family, so it should be fun!

Day Two (Christmas Day):

Josh woke up, and I had laid out an entire christmas morning for him! I filled his stocking, got hot coco ready and put a breakfast casserole in the oven!

We had our very own little christmas morning. Just the two of us. It was absolutely wonderful. I have to admit, small quiet christmas' are the best!

After opening gifts we met up with Ivy (who had to work) and went to Josh's aunts house for supper. And I guess what happened there is best described in pictures:

The Girls

Us! We were stuffed!

The Kids Table Rules! I hope I never get too old to sit at the kids table!

Stuffed!
Stuffed!

Worst Christmas Present EVER!



And this is when things started to get really weird:









This is Colin. He got a new computer for christmas. I kept saying, "Oh, is that your new computer?" OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. He got so annoyed at me. This is his, "AMBER SHUT UP" face. I laughed for like 10 mins after I took this picture. So he was even more annoyed. I'm the best cousin ever I think.

DAY THREE: My Moms House--

Yesterday we went to my moms house for christmas. My grandparents were up, and we got to hang out with them all day. It was really nice because I haven't got to see my grandparents in a while. And since I was around my biological family it felt a little more "christmassy"....until we opened gifts.

I know christmas is not about gifts. If no one had received gifts I would have been happy to just be around my family and the ones I loved. I wouldn't have cared at all. But we did receive gifts. I am completely grateful to receive a gift, and I don't want below to sound like I am a completely greedy person, but it's just what is in my mind.

A little back story: My grandma writes a "family letter" every year in her christmas cards, to tell everyone where they are in life, and where all her kids and grandkids are. Most years she has gotten things completely wrong about me, but this year it is so wrong it was almost upsetting. She refferd to Josh as my "Fiance". I was a little annoyed. Because I am not engaged, and now my whole family thinks I am. It's supposed to be special, and by saying that it is taking a little bit of it away.

Anyways, for christmas, it got worse. This year I didn't receive any of my own gifts from my grandma, they were all joint for me and Josh. All of them. My Sister received a $100 visa gift card, My brother received a $100 visa gift card, My mom received a $500 visa gift card, and I get to split my $100 visa gift card with Josh, so I only got $50. Now don't get me wrong $50 is a wonderful gift, and if Josh and I were engaged and sharing everything it would be no big deal. But the fact is, Josh and I are NOT engaged, and it's just ME! I don't mean to sound like a baby,but: I'm not engaged, so the world is still about ME ME ME, MINE MINE MINE!!! HA!
The clincher is that the other gift we got was an "Engagement Keepsake Box" (Pictured to the right). It is a beautiful box, and again, if I were engaged, I would have no problem with it. But I'm not. So basically it is just a big slap in the face. While I was opening it I was trying to hold back tears, not for happiness, but because I was so upset. She knows we aren't engaged, but she says that we are "practically engaged" so she thought it would be okay. Well, I don't know what "practically engaged" means to her, but personally, I don't think it means, "We are waiting several YEARS to finish college before doing anything like that". Josh isn't anywhere CLOSE to proposing, and so this gift is more just a slap in the face then something cute. I know that isn't what she meant to do at all, but, it's just how I feel.

I think the reason I am so upset is because there is a little part of me that sees everyone else either married, or engaged, and there is that little part of me that wants that too. So it's just rubbing it in my face that that isn't going to happen for a while.

So, basically. That is my christmas in a nutshell. There were ups and downs, and it was different then ever before. Christmas isn't the same like when you were younger, sometimes it sucks growing up, but if you are able to keep hold of your youth, you will always have fun moments.


No comments:

Post a Comment