Monday, December 21, 2009

Growing Up: In Style

A small confession. My 21st birthday was not the first time I got drunk. I know, shocker right? I've never been much of a drinker, but I have gone to several parties. They were always all right, and the first couple times were really fun. But, the drunk stories can only last so long before they are boring. "So and So was a freaking idiot" stories can only go so far before it's the same old same old. And drinking really isn't the greatest form of entertainment.
This past year that I have actually been 21 and have been old enough to "experiment" with drinking has simply been a bore. I've got drunk...um...three or four times. And each time was more fun before and after I drank. I've regretting drinking everytime. And something always goes wrong: an argument, an emotional cry, a drama. Something that wouldn't have happened if everyone was sober goes on, and makes it slightly less fun.

This last time I drank, I vomited. I'm not going to glamorize this at all. I drank a total of 4 drinks (which is nothing!), and vomited for a total of 10 mins outside, and have been vomiting for a total of 2 days after. I have a feeling it is a slight bug that is going around, but it was escalated by my own stupid behavior. If I had not have drank, I would not have been in this much agony 2 days later. As I learched my body over the porch banister vomiting all my bodily fluids for a period of ten minuets; held my knees to my stomach the whole night, only to wake up by me vomiting beside my bed, I came to a small realization. Is it really worth it? Is it really worth all the agony and self loathing in order for an hour or two of the thrill? Is it really worth starting down the path of the other alcoholics of my family?

Not when I have more fun and am a lot healthier without it. It was funny, but this weekend I hosted a party for my best friend. It was her 21st birthday party, and boy did I have a blast. BUT, I had more fun before I actually drank then when I was drunk. The whole party was such a fun idea. It was a masquerade! And yes, we did it in style:

GLAMOUROUS!


Lady Gaga-esque!



The Sexy Birthday Girl!

Yea, I though I was absolutely hilarious. For those of you who know how to play "kings cup", I'm holding up a "six for dicks" card. Yea...funny?? HA!

"JENNEY!"


The Cute Couple!


Yes, we know how to through a party!

What a spread for a 21st birthday eh???

Josh's Mask was absolutely terrifying, but not as terrifying as what the innuendo of this picture represents.

All those pictures were BEFORE anyone drank.

Now, I am obviously not guaranteeing that I am never going to drink again--I do enjoy a nice glass of wine here and there. But I think the start of one 21 run is the end of another. The beginning of my best friends 21st year, is the end of mine. It's time to pass the torch. I love going out. I love dressing up. But I don't think my body enjoys me drinking. I'm growing up in style. Passing the torch, and becoming the official designated driver. Every group needs one right???

Happy Birthday Kayla, I honestly had a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment