Sunday, March 7, 2010

Lent

For the last several weeks I have removed facebook from my life. Nightly I would come home and be on facebook for hours on end, just browsing from page to page. I would look at peoples wedding photos, baby photos, travel photos, and emerse myself in other peoples lives. Yea, I'm kind of nosey, if you didn't already guess. But, as I was browsing I found myself slowing getting more and more addicted to facebook. So, I decided to go without it for Lent. 40 days of no facebook. And so far, I have learned a lot.

I think the reason I emersed myself so greatly into facebook was pure jealousy. I loved looking at wedding and baby photos, because that is where I want to be. I would look at wedding photos and secretly plan my own future wedding, and look at baby photos and wonder what I would be like as a mom. I would emerse myself so deeply because my life is in a standstill, and everyone else seems to be moving forward. I love to watch my friends grow up and getting married and have babies, it's so amazing the changes people go through. And thinking about them, kept me distracted from focusing on my life staying still.

So, now, without facebook I just get to dwell in my own life rather then emerse myself in other's. And I don't know if it is necessarily a good thing or not. I am not getting more stuff done...like I though I would with facebook. I'm just getting more and more depressed dwelling in my own life.

Facebook also has always been a place for social interactions. Commenting on photos, leaving people a little "hello" message, and even "event invitations". It's a great place to stay social. But without facebook, I really realize how few real friends I have. Its one in a great few that actually contact me still. I get a random text here and there, but really, I don't talk to anyone anymore. I have a select few that I talk too, but I never hang out with anyone. Without facebook, I never leave the house. It's so strange how dependant our society can be on an internet website.

Life without facebook has been interesting, and not at all what I thought it would be like.

3 comments:

  1. I should try this no facebook thing and see what I learn. I actually just went from 800 friends to 300 and I will probably delete more...but I decided to only keep the people that I actually talk to on there and really care about...it was too much otherwise...Love you girlie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy we're still best friends after all these years:) you're the only friend that still keeps in contact with me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl! I totally agree with you!!! I do if you may "stalk" people to see where life is taking them and letting my life pass by. And yes, I do realize how few friends I truely have as well. Ps I love checkin out your blog! Anyways...for lent I gave up candy, cake and cookies, haha!
    Hope you have a great day

    ReplyDelete