Monday, August 10, 2009

Babies

There are different stages growing up that you and your friends go through: high school, graduation, the college years, etc. I guess when you are in your early twenty's the stage is "marriage and babies". It has always seemed to young for me, but, I guess that is normal? Right now the stage of my friends is the, "Marriage and Babies" stage. Many people that I am close with are married, and many have babies, or are having babies, or have babies. It seems like everytime I log on facebook now-a-days there is another status update, "So and So is engaged", "So and So is Married", "So and So is Pregnant". I feel like we just graduated? Why is everyone taking on so much responsibility?

Getting married is responsibility enough, why add to the mess with having a baby so young? What is the point in having a baby within the first years of marriage, or before you graduate college, or before you travel? Once you have a baby, that's it. Your done. You are a parent for the rest of your life, regardless of what you want. Why CHOOSE to have a baby so young?

Not all babies are chosen to be had. This is also the stage in my life where a lot of "unwanted" pregnancies occur. Horny teenagers turn into aborted babies. Horny teenagers turn into single moms. Horny teenagers turn into bad parents. Not all babies are planed babies, and chosen to be had.

For some reason, kids my age, who get pregnant by accident and become mothers, are better in my book. They did not choose to get pregnant so young, but they are taking full responsibility for their actions. It's not exactly what fit in the plan, but they were adult enough to have sex, so they are adult enough to take on that responsibility.

When an unplanned pregnancy occurs there are three options that run through your head, "Abortion", "Adoption", and "Keeping the baby". Sadly, I think a lot of people fall for the easy way out, and go with "Abortion". Now, don't get me wrong, I am not against abortion completely, but to use it as a form of birth control is probably the most selfish thing you could possibly do. You are only looking out for yourself. You are only thinking about what is going to be best for you, not the baby. In cases of rape, incese, and abscess, abortion is the most legitimate option, but unless you fit into one of those categories, then it really shouldn't be an option.

It's strange though, how the most selfish act you could possibly imagine could turn into the most selfLESS act you could perform: Adoption. I think it is an option that a lot of teen mothers reject. Imagine carrying a baby full term, only to give it up at the end? Going through all the pains of the pregnancy, without any of the rewards. I could only imagine. These people that have gone through adoption, are the most selfless people I could imagine. They are taking responsibility for their actions, and in turn, still giving a baby to this world, and giving them to a loving family. They may not be ready for parenthood, but they are ready for the responsibility for sex.

Now, please do not take this wrong. Not everyone that gets an abortion is a bad person, and not everyone that chooses to get married or have a baby young is an idiot. These are just simple statements for what I have been thinking lately. I guess because I was forced to grow up too fast, that I don't want others to grow up too fast with choices that they could avoid. If you are not with a person that you could potentially marry, then don't have sex. Just because you are married, does not in fact mean you should have a baby.

Live. Learn. Live.

Strive for more. Live for more. There is no rush to grow up too quickly. And there is no need to put yourself in a difficult situation.

Live. Learn. Live.

No comments:

Post a Comment