Sunday, October 24, 2010

Kids and Parenting

Josh is a nanny for the next two weeks. He has a 4 year old and a 10 year old to take care of. It's really eye opening. Yesterday we took them to the pumpkin patch, driving our little mini van and had a nice "family time". It was great, fun, and everyone enjoyed themselves. But it made me think of so many things.

For one, parents are awful! I can't tell you how many times I heard parents screaming at their kids for doing something "wrong" like just touching a pumpkin, or picking a rotting apple off the ground, or running instead of walking. Really parents, do you have to lose your cool about every little thing your child does that isn't "perfect"? Kids are just kids! They are curious, and interested in everything. And guess what, it is a pumpkin patch that is geared towards kids! So they want the kids to run, and touch things, and have fun...that is the whole points! I heard a parent say, "Now don't touch that, now you MIND ME!" Ha, Josh and I turned to eachother and laughed SO HARD! It was absolutly rediculous!

Now obviously, I am not a parent, and really, have no idea what it is like. I don't have to deal with the stress of not sleeping and all that right now. However, I do have experience with kids. I work with 2 year olds 40 hours a week. Then this weekend, I get to spend my spare time with the kids, so I do have a little experience. And in my experience I have learned that kids listen better if you talk to them like normal people, and don't yell at them like they are your little pet. But, that is just a thought.

I never want my future children to act like little perfect robots! I want them to run, and touch things, and do things that are wrong. And I want to redirect their interest into what is the right thing to run too, and what is the right thing to touch.

Besides noticing "parenting", and realizing that Josh and I have very similar ideas about "parenting", I have also realized there is no way I want one of those little persons right now! Ha! No babies for now for me. Yes, I go through little spurts of really wanting children. But then, it's over. I really like to work with kids, then come home and be a kid myself. I like doing what I want, when I want, whenever I want. And it is going to stay that way for a long while.

I'll just take care of kids for now!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you agree with me! I cannot stand the way people treat their children! I just want to say...if you don't want your kids to be kids or can't be nice to them DON"T HAVE THEM! I mean there are accidents, but most of these are planned and I can't stand it! Kids need love and the chance to be kids and learn and experience things! I hate that too!

    ReplyDelete