Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Metaphor

I came across a metaphor as I was cleaning my room the other day: my diploma from Whatcom Community College, still in the envelope it came in, among a jumble of other garbage. I have an AA degree from Whatcom Community College in visual communications, but yet, as the actual diploma, my career is among garbage as well. Have I done anything with my degree? No, I haven't. The closest I come to actually using my degree is that I own a Mac. But other then that my career is getting dusty, along with my diploma.


The simple fact is, Graphic Designers aren't needed. Everything has become so easily obtainable on your own, that people rarely have to outsource for graphic work. My degree was pointless. Enjoyable, but pointless.


But, to take that idea a bit further...does any degree really have a point? I have seen countless people get degrees in numerous subjects with little hope in the job market. Does it really help you in the long run? Unless it is a technical degree, I don't see much point in actually getting a degree.

A BA is so easy to get now a days, it just seems pointless. Everyone and their sister has a BA in English, Education, or Art. Most of these people are bankers, cashiers, and in other career paths that don't need a degree. A BA in ANYTHING is pointless.

And yet, you can't do anything without one? You can't seem to get a job with or without a degree. And with or without that degree it's just a big wheel of luck anyways.

You can't get a degree without luck, you can get a job without luck, and you can't get either it seems without putting yourself into a shitload of debt. And that is just the straight up facts. If you want to go to a university you will most likely need a loan that you will be paying off until you are dead.

So what is the best path for anything?

No comments:

Post a Comment