Friday, May 11, 2012

School--Change of Plans



So, here is the deal. This whole last year has all come down to this: It has been a giant waste of time. This last year I have been going back to WCC so I can get my transfer degree and transfer to a 4 year university. Unfortunatly, it looks like this has been a giant waste of time.

Mainly, it's bad planning on my part, and over-the-top assumptions that turned out to be false, but we will get back to that.

After I finished with my transfer degree I planned on going to WSU in order to get a degree in Human Development. Since I am no longer having to claim my parents on my financial aid form I had assumed that I would recieve financial aid at WSU when I transfer; However, my assumption was very wrong. When I received my financial aid letter in the mail I was very discouraged.

The letter stated that althought they did accept my financial aid, they were only going to offer me $3000 a year in grants and the rest would be in loans. I was not aware the financial aid was a loan? But, I guess it is.

For a brief momment I considered this to be good news, and I would simply take out some loans for school. But on further review I found this to be a very bad decision.

Upon the suggestion of a friend I sat down with my self and thought of the pros and cons. Then I sat down and did the math. If I take out the loans, it will total a little over $15,000 of debt after college. With the interest rate they are offering me, this would mean that I would be paying about $200 a month to loans for the next 10 years. After I graduate I, on average, I would not be making much more money after then I am right now. This all means that after I graduate I would not only have a low paying job, but I would make technically less then I am now, because I have to pay off the loans.

This is very discouraging.

So, at this point I have made the decision not to attend a four year university. After I get my 2 year, I am going to take a break and figure out my life. All the careers I would like are careers where I technically don't need a degree, so really, what is the point of going into debt when I don't need that silly peice of paper?

Yes, I would love the education. And the thought of learning more would is something I dream about. I had my heart set on Human Development, but sometimes dreams are mearly dreams. Reality is today. Today I know I will ultimatly be happier being debt free. And I can figure out the rest later.

Day by day right?

No comments:

Post a Comment