Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Titanic: Worst Love Story Ever

*blot spoilers for those crazy enough to have never actually seen the movie "Titanic"*

Growing up I have seen this movie many times. I never actually liked it a whole lot, I was way too into history and was always bumbed there wasn't more historical facts in the movie (yes, nerd I know). But, I always thought this movie was cute, and a little romantic. Unitl now.

So, this Rose meets Jack, he draws a naked picture of her, they do it in the back of a car and they are instantly in love. Cool. I will be the first to tell you that you can have feelings for someone the first momment of meeting them, yes; However, and "undying love" takes time for sure. But in a movie format, when you don't have that much time, I can see that you might have to make the "undying" love go a little quicker. I get it. So, the whole falling in love aspect of the movie doesn't get me, but the very END END does.

At the very end of the movie, Rose passes away. I always got a little teary eyed and thought it was super cute and romantic that when she passes away and Jack is waiting for her at the top of the staircase. Oh, reunited at last. But, BLECK! How is this supposed to be romantic, and how is this supposed to make people feel better in the slightest about love? So she meets Jack for 2 days, he dies. Then she goes on, obviously meets a man, has children with him, they lead a long happy life together, then he dies. So, when Rose finally dies...she is reunited with JACK...the person she knew for 2 days...not her husband she was with and had children with. How is that supposed to be a happy ending?

I just don't understand this ending, now that I am older and have experienced what it is like to lose the one you love.

I might be reading into this too much, in the movie it never really says she "gets married", it just says she has children...so I just implied she got married...but still. If she didn't get married did that mean she had a long lonely life? Either way...what a depressing movie.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! I have ALWAYS thought all that you said! I was very interested in the Titanic and hated that the movie wasn't more about...well the Titanic! And yah, she ends up with Jack after she dies..what about her husband? Did she just use him so she wasn't alone for the rest of her life? What the heck! I am glad you feel the same way as me!

    ReplyDelete